Saturday, April 7, 2007

What is Brad selling?

Coach Brad Soderberg has been getting a lot of negative attention in regards to his recruiting ability. There seems to be arguments both ways, but what aren’t arguable are the results on the court. Coach has improved his win total the last few years and has now just completed a twenty win season. Achieving twenty wins though did not get the Billikens to any post season play which has to be the mark which he is measured against. The spring signing period is upon us and has everybody on the edge of their seats as to how that turns out. Will we be a better team next year and will we be a better team in the years to come? The answers to those questions will start surfacing as the roster starts to surface.

There are both facts and speculations being shared in regards to Coach’s financial resources, the school’s commitment, the school’s facilities, academic requirements, etc. There are over 300 Division I basketball teams in the NCAA and if you take away the top programs each school has their share of advantages and disadvantages. The one thing that does differ from school to school is the Coach and what they bring to the table.

I guess the thing I really want to know is how is Brad selling himself? We’ve seen some of the top players in the nation follow coaches to schools. After all, a big part of the recruiting game is selling. You have to sell yourself and you have to sell the program.

When I was 17 years old I changed high schools and I looked at a few different high schools. The high school I ending up going to had the worst facilities, was in the worst part of town, had the least amount of camaraderie among the students and had a limited sports tradition. The very reason I chose the school was because of the people who were involved in my visits and the ones I spoke with. The Guidance Counselor and Principal sold me on the positive changes going on at that school. They sold me on how I was going to contribute to the changes and what a difference maker I could become. They were right!

My point for bringing this up is that high school basketball players all have things that are individually important to them. Does Brad identify those things quick enough and does he sell to those things? Does he sell what HE can do for that player? Does he come across as a leader and somebody one would want to follow? I have no way of knowing. I only know what I see on the surface. I have met Brad Soderberg three times and have spoken with him twice but only for a short period of time. He comes across as a very genuine person and he seems likable enough. One thing I never got from him personally or when I listen to interviews with him is confidence. He doesn’t exude confidence to me. Confidence comes in many forms, but it’s not something I pick up with him. I’ve heard many interviews with him and he often states how he doesn’t have the answers to things. Does Brad Soderberg feel he can take this program to the next level? I don’t know that answer. It doesn’t matter whether I think he can or not, but does he really believe after what he has accomplished so far that he can achieve the task? Again, not something I know.

I believe in many ways Brad is starting over. I have started a couple businesses from scratch with zero capital. I’ve approached investors and venture capital companies and the toughest thing is selling them on a vision and selling them on why you are the man they can trust to achieve that vision. That can be a very tough task if you don’t have a proven track record of success or your company is jumping into a highly competitive market. Many times when you give your presentations you only have a limited amount of time to sell yourself. Most investors will take a hard look at the numbers, but no matter how good the numbers may look, if they don’t believe you can execute what you are proposing, they’re not buying into your venture.

I know the analogy may not be a perfect one, but I do know this: If Brad doesn’t come across with a deal great deal of confidence, doesn’t solidly sell his realistic vision for the program and convince players that he’s the man to accomplish the tasks; players are not buying into it as well. Brad has two very talented juniors on his team next year and a state of the art facility the following year. My questions are: Can he convince players that he can develop them as players? Can he convince kids that he has the foundation to take this program to the next level? Can he sell to what the individual prospect wants? Can he come across as a leader? Can he develop a team that will leave it all on the court every night? Can he convince a player he will surround him with a supporting cast each and every year they play for him? I simply don’t know at this point. I would like to believe he can, but I don’t how he is selling things and how he is selling himself.

4 comments:

SRBMB said...

You are so sharp, then what, for example would you have said to Stremmler to persuade him to go to SLU rather than Indiana (better facilities, better conference, NCAA winning tradition, coach with NCAA tournament winning history, centrally located conference, football team, etc..)

WHAT would you have said????

David Louis said...

I don't know. I am not the Coach of the team recruiting him. That is why I was asking, "What is Brad selling?". Because, I don't know. Historically, Indiana has been one of the top programs in the NCAA. When I say top programs I am referring to the top 10% or so all DI teams. When Bob Knight or Rick Pitino or Coach K walk in and talk with a prospect, we can pretty much speculate how things go as their name, program, tradition, personality all are pretty well known and a lot is said without saying anything.

If you were Brad, what would you say?

SRBMB said...

I am not saying I know what to tell a recruit.

I am pointing out that everyone criticized Brad's recruiting but nobody can tell me what Brad should say.

Your whole case was that IN YOUR OPINION the problem was that Brad did not exude enough confidence. #1, that is your opinion. #2, all the confidence in the world will not get Suggs, for example, to SLU when the likes of Florida are courting him.

Only hope for a 4* or 5* player, or most 3*'s that are pursued by Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, SEC, etc, it to get lucky a la Larry Hughes who chose to stay in town to be with his brother.

I think Romar failed in his recruiting but now gets some McDonald's All Americans now that he is at Washington. PAC 10, football school, great facilities, NCAA tournament history in recent years, conference is not on the east coast when we are west of Mississippi, etc! Also, no "cake" classes to hide guys, SLU is not that tough academically but does not have PE like Gonzaga or cake courses for personal trainers like Mizzou.

David Louis said...

srbmb, you're right it is my opinion and also just my observation. I am not in on the meetings and honestly wonder what Brad is selling and hence the topic of the post. I said there were arguments both ways and mentioned the criticism he has been given. The only thing that seems apparent on the surface (in my opinion) is not showing a large amount of confidence. Like I said, confidence comes in many ways, but in the many interviews I've listened to and my few personal experiences, that was one thing that seemed very apparent. I know all the confidence in the world will not land Suggs, OJ Mayo, etc. You made a number of comments but in my post I asked a lot of questions as well. You didn't address one of them which is fine as you may not have the answers as well. Maybe somebody out there does and will give us some insight. Here's hoping to a great week!