Tuesday, April 17, 2007

An Awkward Calm

I know my passion for Billiken basketball has not changed, but I feel an awkward calm after a pretty unexpected announcement of Coach Soderberg being fired today. I can attribute this calm to many things, but I think these days it's just my overall optimism.

It's way too early to declare this firing a disaster. Does it have the makings for a disaster - sure? But, it can also turn out to be a good move. I will agree with the media and most message boards and say the timing is odd, but ultimately I think this move was coming. It may have been in 12 months and it may have been in 24 months, but I think it was coming. That being said, everyone else in this post will be under my speculation that this move would have happened eventually.

I really like Coach Soderberg, but I just don't think he had most of the attributes needed to take this program to the next level. I used to believe he did, but too many things have made me think otherwise.

The fact that SLU made this move at this time may show a lack of judgment on SLU's part, but does it show a commitment from the top administration at SLU - FINALLY? I don't recall many people, if any at all, that thought Brad would be fired at the end of this season. I know many who wanted it and were calling for it, but I don't know of any that thought it would be pulled off because of his contract and having a program that would likely not buy out a Coach's contract. So, this move tells me something in that regard. Also, who would have ever thought SLU would ever fire their Coach after a 20 win season and an improvement from the prior season. I wouldn't have thought that especially coupled with the contract issue.

If you look at our current roster does anybody believe this team would be better next year under Coach Soderberg? I don't think they would have been any better and I don't think they would have been any worse. I think we would have had a very similar season. If that speculation is even somewhat correct, I think an upgrade in coaching can at least pull that off next year. And, I think I would rather have TL and KL with 2 seasons with a new Coach as opposed to just one. I also think the inaugural season in the arena, which can create a new atmosphere and new image for this Billiken program moving forward, would be better served having TL and KL playing their second year under a new Coach.

I also worried about the recruiting of Kramer Soderberg and any recruits that may have come our way because of relationships that Kramer had from playing with or knowing these other recruits. What if Brad were fired next year and then we lose Kramer and potentially anybody he helped bring here. Maybe I am overestimating the influence of Kramer, but it's a thought.

It's also recognized that the '08 class is loaded with players. Can an upgrade in Coaching help us salvage what might have been another recruiting miss for SLU? I think it can.

There is definitely is a lot to think about and while this move appears scary due to its timing, there may be a silver lining in the whole thing.

I feel horrible for Coach Soderberg and his family. I hope this move doesn't negatively affect Kramer in having to move and play his senior year in a new city on a new team. I feel sorry for the players who were close to Coach and enjoyed playing for him. I feel sorry for any assistants that are affected by this move ultimately and change can always create uncertain feelings.

I am speculating and hoping that none of our players leave as a result of this and no other fallout happens, but nothing is certain in those regards. One thing that is certain is that SLU shocked me today and for some reason I am not freaking out about it. I hope that continues to be the case.

No comments: